Alms Giving in Commemoration of 112th Founders’ Day Collaboratively Organized by the College, SSCOBA, Junior OBA, Past Teachers’ Association, and Medical Professionals’ Association
112th Founders’ Day Alms Giving was successfully held at the College Auditorium on Medin full moon poya day, Sunday, March 28, 2021, with the participation of maha sangha led by Ven. Prof. Kahapola Sugatharatana thero – the Chief Incumbent of Amarapura Chapter and the Chief Incumbent of Rankoth Viharaya, Panadura, principal & teachers of the college, old boys, parents, and students. The alms giving was jointly organized by the College, Old Boys’ Association, Junior Old Boys’ Association, Past Teachers’ Association, and Old Sumangalians Medical Professionals’ Association.
It was especially noted that the organizers also made it a point to invoke merit to great Sumangalian, Patron of SSCOBA late Dr. Neville Fernando to attain the supreme bliss of nibbana.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one who contributed in numerous ways to make this worthy cause a real success.
We would like to thank Sumangalian, Mr. Nadun Darshana Jayasekara for donating Rs 50,000/- to the School Development Fund of the SSCOBA.
The donation was collected by the Treasurer Mr. Dinesh Ketipearachchi and SSCOBA Exco Member Rajeev Fernando coordinated this donation.
Thank you so much for your generosity!
We would like to thank Sumangalian, Mr. Nishantha Senevirathna who is an Exco Member of the SSCOBA for donating Rs 25,000/- to the School Development Fund of the SSCOBA.
The donation was made at the recently held SSCOBA monthly Exco meeting to the Treasurer Mr. Dinesh Ketipearachchi.
Thank you so much for your generosity!
We were delighted to be informed of the appointment of Sumangalian, Sujeewa Yakupitiya (89 Group) as the Director of Selacine Television Institute which comes under the Ministry of Media by Hon. Minister of Media, Keheliya Rambukwella.
It gives us great pleasure to extend our heartiest congratulations and sincere best wishes.
Sri Sumangala College, Panadura, celebrates its 112 year today.
The school was founded on March 3, 1909, at the Rankoth Viharaya premises Panadura, by its chief incumbent Ven. Panadura Gnanavimalatissa Thero and Mudliyar Thomas Rodrigo, P. C. H. Dias, Matthes Salgado, P. Domingo Dias, Kornelis Perera, and P. Lewis Dias, followed by Arthur Dias, N. Q. Dias, Susantha De Fonseka, Sir Leo Fernando, and many other philanthropists of Panadura.
The plot of land for the buildings of this budding institution was donated by the famous philanthropist Arthur V. Dias, between his residence and the Rankoth Vihara under the sal tree.
The school was named after the Buddhist Scholar Weligama Sri Sumangala Thero.
This educational institution which was started with 77 students had 325 students when it became a government-assisted school on May 11, 1911, and was managed by a Board of Management consisting of a manager. In 1961 it was vested in the state.
A pioneer in Buddhist Education, P. De S. Kularathne was its manager in 1943. It was a golden era of the college as there were many positive developments took place during his time.
Sri Sumangala College nurtured and molded thousands of excellent citizens such as Sir Ukwatte Jayasundare, Dr. Linton Salgado, Prof. P. E. E. Fernando, H. Jinadasa Samarakkody, Prof. Raja de Fonseka, Prof. Ranjith Ruberu, Dr. Walter Fernando, Dr. Neville Fernando, Prof. P. A. De Silva, Dr. Jayantha Ruberu, Dr. L. L. Gunarathne, Prof. Nimal Chandrasena, Sir Leo Fernando, D. W. J. Perera, Merryl Kariyawasam, P. W. M. Wijesooriya, D. G. Athukorala, Dr. Malinga Fernando, Alec Robertson, Linton Wijenayaka, W. D. Amaradeva, Premasiri Khemadasa, Prof. Lalithasiri Gunaruwan, Don Arunasiri, and Dilruwan Perera to mention a few.
On August 7, 1942, all the students of the college between the 7th standard up to the H.S.C. were shifted to the buildings constructed at Nalluruwa to a land to the extent of two acres donated by Walter Salgado, one of the two brothers who were enrolled first, as students of the college. It is very important to point out that it was on March 24, 1940, that the foundation stone was laid for these buildings.
The adjoining land of about 2 1/2 acres which was donated by M. D. Fernando has been turned into the playground of the college. The audience hall of the college was made constructed and donated by Sir Leo Fernando, while P. C. M. Dias contributed largely to the construction of the laboratory. The public of the area, especially of Panadura contributed towards the construction of the buildings.
The students of Sri Sumangala Girl’s School used the laboratory of the college for their highest studies in H.S.C. classes at the initial stage.
The primary classes from Kindergarten up to six standard which had been retained at the town branch adjoining Rankoth Viharaya was headed by A. C. Morawaka, a tough disciplinarian. This branch was also shifted to Nalluruwa premises, making it one institution in 1995.
On May 25, 1993, the college was graded as a National School.
The first two to enroll as students were two brothers Walter and Richard Salgado, the sons of Matthes Salgado, one of the six founders of the college. The children of the other founders also followed suit.
The first Principal of the College was Thomas E. Gunaratne, who held the post till 1912.
The late W. S. M. Wijenayaka (Village Headman of Pohaddaramulla, Wadduwa) was also a student with Walter and Richard Salgado, U. A. Jayasundare, and Sir Leo Fernando when Thomas E. Gunaratne was the Principal succeeded by W. Charles de Silva. His sons, Walter, Sylvester, Llewellyn, and Linton Wijenayaka were also students when A. C. Morawaka was the Head Master and A. J. Fernando who was the Principal, succeeded by K. L. V. Alagiyawanna.
One-third of the college buildings were washed out on December 26, 2004, by the Tsunami. As a result, the college was shifted to the Army camp at Wekada and the camp at Wekada was shifted to the space where the college buildings were.
The college is a National Institution – a part of our national heritage and it has a powerful Old Boys’ Association which was established in 1922.
Some of the devoted eminent past teachers were Thomas E. Gunaratne, R. S. S. Gunawardane, P. De S. Kularatne, M. W. Karunananda, A. J. Fernando and K. L. V. Alagiyawanne. The present Principal of the school is Lt. Colonel L.G.P.B Liyangaskumbura.
It is with profound sadness we announce the demise of a distinguished old boy, former Member of Parliament, Founder of the Dr. Neville Fernando Teaching Hospital, and Honorary Patron of Old Boys’ Association of Sri Sumangala College, Dr. Neville Fernando.
Dr. Fernando is a great Sumangalian who put his heart and soul to serve our Alma Mater and SSCOBA. At the time of his departure, he was a Patron of SSCOBA. His benevolence towards the college would run into volumes, since brevity is the soul of wit, let us be brief.
He was elected to Panadura in the 8th parliamentary election in 1977. He is notable for having moved for a controversial Motion of no confidence against then Leader of the opposition A. Amirthalingam, the first motion of no confidence against a leader of opposition in the world.
He founded the Dr. Neville Fernando Teaching Hospital in 2013, a hi-tech multi-specialty tertiary care teaching hospital.
He is a person who won the love of everyone. Though he departed from us his legacy will remain forever. No doubt that his departure will create an unfathomable void, not only at the SSCOBA but in the society at large.
May he attain the supreme bliss of nirvana!
Sumangalian Chathuranga Madura Kumara Perera donated Rs 60,000/- for the SSCOBA School Development Fund
Sumangalian Rasika Prabhashan donated Chemicals, Lab Accessories, First Aid Accessories, and Cleaning Accessories to College Labs
We would like to thank Sumangalian, Exco Member of SSCOBA, Mr. Rasika Prabhashan for donating Rs 30,948/- worth of Chemicals, Lab Accessories, First Aid Accessories, and Cleaning Accessories to College Labs.
The donation was made through SSCOBA to the Principal Lt. Colonel L. G. P. B. Liyangaskumbura at a small ceremony held at the College recently.
Officials from the College and SSCOBA attended the ceremony.
Thank you so much for your generosity!