FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

COLLEGE HISTORY

Sri Sumangala College was established in Panadura on March 03, 1909 (popularly known as “Town Branch” at latter stages), in a land belonging to Rankoth Vihara Temple just 25 km south of Colombo, fulfilling the vision of six Philanthrophists of Panadura, namely, M Cornelis Perera, together with Mudliar Thomas Rodrigo, M. Mathes Salgado, P. C. H. Dias, P. Lewis Dias and P. Domingo Dias.

සුචරිත ගුණ දම් සොයා... සිසුනට දී දම් අමා...

The prime idea was to deliver an education to the children of Panadura, in English at a standard equal that of a Colombo school. The first Principal was Mr. Thomas E. Gooneratne who held the principalship for three years.

The school was further expanded with the help and contributions from the philanthropists / old boys. The foundation stone for the new building was laid on 24th of March 1940 by Mr. P de S Kularatne, an Educationist of great repute on a land gifted by the first student of the College, Mr. M. Walter Salgado and situated at Nalluruwa, about one-and-a-half Kilometres south of Panadura town.

Sri Sumangala College's First Building

Sri Sumangala College's first building in the Rankoth Viharaya.

The new building was to be ceremonially opened by the Governor of Ceylon, H.E. Andrew Caldecott on the 7th of August 1942, but due to unavoidable circumstance, it was declared opened by the Governor’s Legal Secretary, Mr.H. B. Nihill on behalf of the Governor. This event marks the beginning of the expansion of our Alma Mater in the new premises and the first Principal was Mr. P.J. Jayaratne. The establishment of Sri Sumangala College was a boon to those who sought higher education in English.

Sri Sumangala College with Principals like Abeyseela Ginige, during whose time the College executed a variety of extra – curricular activities.

Even the Old Boys’ Association was established under his auspices on 28th of October 1922, after 13 years after the establishment of the College. The management, which complied with the wishes of the Principals, granted Free Education in 1946. University Entrance classes were commenced in 1955 under Mr. K L V Alagiyawanna with a host of highly qualified Teachers and had a success rate of about 85% in the very first year. During this period, College achieved the Island’s Best Results in the University Entrance Examination.

Sri Sumangala College's Main Building in Nalluruwa

Sri Sumangala College's main building in Nalluruwa.

The “Town Branch”, which housed the primary section of the school, was shifted to Nalluruwa in 1993 and the Principal at this time was Mr. D. E. Jayanetti. During this period, the College was among the 35 schools in Sri Lanka to be classified as a National School in the very first year of the classification system introduced and is considered the leading school in Kalutara District. However, due to ever-increasing demands for student admissions to Sri Sumangala College, and restrictions in the funds available to College from the Government, it has become an urgent need to carry out identified Priority Projects for the upliftment of the College for the welfare of the students and to make the environment conducive for students. The College has a student population around 4000 by year 2004.

The “Town Branch”, which housed the primary section of the school, was shifted to Nalluruwa in 1993 and the Principal at this time was Mr. D. E. Jayanetti. During this period, the College was among the 35 schools in Sri Lanka to be classified as a National School in the very first year of the classification system introduced and is considered the leading school in Kalutara District. However, due to ever-increasing demands for student admissions to Sri Sumangala College, and restrictions in the funds available to College from the Government, it has become an urgent need to carry out identified Priority Projects for the upliftment of the College for the welfare of the students and to make the environment conducive for students. The College has a student population of over 3000 by year 2004.

Devastated with the Tsunami struck in 26th December 2004 and with the blessings of the Government of Sri Lanka, Mr. L.W. Somatilaka – Principal, OBA, Teachers & staff, Students, parents and well wishers, the uphill task of the initial works related to the construction of a brand new school was commenced amidst challenges, logistical problems and obstacles at a land belonged to CTB & Army with an extent of approx. 7+ acres in close proximity to Panadura Town along the Panadura-Horna main road with the grant funding of Government of Japan. The Japan International Corporation System (JICS) who executed the construction work and the contract was awarded to by end October 2005 to Buildmart Co. The consultants to the project are Mhori Architect & Associates Inc, Japan in association of Surath Wickremasingha Associates, Sri Lanka.

Sri Sumangala College New Buildings

Sri Sumangala College new buildings in the center of Panadura city

The construction work of the new location commenced on 15.11.2005 with a Ground Breaking Ceremony with the participation of Hon. Yuji Miyahara, First Secretary, Embassy of Japan and Hon. Reginald Cooray, Chief Minister, Western Provincial Council with the participation of many distinguished Guests including, Mr. T. Ueshima, the Resident Representative of JICA, Mr. T. Jimbo, Director, JICS, Mrs. Sunila Mendis,

His Excellency the President of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka Hon. Mahinda Rajapaksha ceremonially opening the newly constructed buildings on the college funded by the Government of Japan

His Excellency the President of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka Hon. Mahinda Rajapaksha ceremonially opening the newly constructed buildings of the college funded by the Government of Japan.

Senior Secretary to HE President. However the construction works were delayed by almost 1.5 years due to obstacles placed by a handful of short-sighted persons, mainly connected to OBA.

As a result the construction of the proposed new school could only be commenced with a foundation laying ceremony on 6th July 2006. The total cost estimate (including consulting,construction supervision etc.) of the proposed project is Rs. 390 million (approx. USD 3.3 million). The new school will have many new features, added and enhanced facilities such as new main Auditorium, A spacious Library, Computerlaboratories, Auditorium for the primary school etc. for the use of students. Having successfully overcoming the obstructions, finally all the proposed works under the project was completed by end March 2009.

His Excellency the President of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka Hon. Mahinda Rajapaksha ceremonially opened the newly constructed complete school funded by the Government of Japan on 23rd April 2009 at

Commemorative Stamp issued to mark the centenary of the college.

Commemorative Stamp issued to mark the centenary of the college.

1630Hrs with the participation of His Excellency the Ambassador for Japan Kunio Takahashi, Minister of EducationHon. Susil Premjayantha, Deputy Minister Postal Services Hon. M. Sellasamy, Minister of Nation Building Hon. Rohitha Abeygunawardena, Former Chief Minister of Western Province Reginold Cooray, Mr. Lalith Weeratunga Secretary to HE the President, Director Media of HE the President Mr. MahindaIlleperuma, Mr. Nimal Bandara, Secretary, Ministry of Education, Inspector General of Police Jayantha Wickremaratne and MPs, Senior Government Officials and other distinguish guests. To mark the Centenary of the school a commemorative Stamp & first day cover was also issued on the same day.

TOP